Monitoring hepatitis C treatment uptake in Australia Issue 10, June 2019
This report summarises data on the prescription and distribution of hepatitis C treatments and provides insight into the initial phase of the roll-out of DAA therapy in Australia.
- An estimated 70,260 people treated with DAA therapy through PBS 2016-2018 (plus 4,000+ treated pre-PBS) = 33% of estimated chronic HCV population.
- An estimated 16,100 people treated with DAA therapy in 2018.
- First estimate of number of people retreated: of 70,260 people DAA treated, 2,920 (4.1%) have received retreatment (for virological failure or reinfection).
- Since August 2018 when glecaprevir/pibrentasvir listed on PBS, 85% of people have been treated with pangenotypic regimens.
- Continued trend to younger age at treatment, with 67% <50 years in last quarter of 2018.