In the last 6 years i was overseeing a program of research being implemented in Timor-Leste, that includes:
1) STH epidemiology and control
- Integrated WASH and deworming for STH control: a NHMRC funded (APP10137133) 3 year trial looking at the impact of WASH and albendazole on STH infections (WASH for WORMS);
- Community-wide vs school-targeted WASH and deworming for STH control - (S)WASH-D for Worms (Bill and Melinda Gates GCE - OPP1119041);
- Investigating zoonotic transmission of Ascaris species between pigs and humans;
- Assessment of environmental enteropathy and potential association with infection with soil transmitted helminths
-Efficacy of albendazole prior to mass drug administration
2) Spatial analysis of dengue and
3) Catastrophic costs associated with tuberculosis (RSPH-ANU & WHO)
In Indonesia I am an associate investigator in a trial assessing the impact of a sanitation intervention on infection with intestinal worms (APP APP1077138).
In Myanmar I am involved in a pilot study looking at STH infection levels in school children (DFAT).
In Angola (CISA Project), I am one of the chief investigators of a study looking at the impact of the distribution of albendazol, bednets and praziquantel on anemia in school aged children.
In Papua New Guinea I am co-investigator in a study evaluating the impact of an obstetric and neonatal care training program on the provision of these services.
Recently I have been awarded a $1.3M NHMRC Project Grant (CIA) to compare the impact of school vs community distribution of albendazole in school-age children in the Philippines.